The CUB (Comfortable Upright Birth) support is a comfortable, versatile, inflatable birthing support designed to help mothers adopt and maintain positions that are physically the most helpful for them and their babies during labor and birth.
When the mother is in an upright position it can help the baby to be in the best (easiest) position for birth, making more space within her pelvis than if she is semi-sitting or lying on her back on a bed. Current research has shown that this can make labor shorter and giving birth easier as well as increase safety for the mother and her baby by reducing the risks of complications during birth.
The Comfortable Upright Birth (CUB) support can be used during pregnancy to relieve pelvic and lower back pain, throughout labor; to sit on, rest against or to lean over as well as to give birth to the baby on.
The CUB is suitable for use in maternity hospitals, birth centres or at homebirths.
You can download the CUB information guide here
If you are Pregnant
- Using your CUB during pregnancy can be an easy way to promote baby being in a great position for birth.
- You can use your CUB in pregnancy, or during labour, to relieve the symptoms of pelvic girdle pain and lower back pain. Please see our page on PGP on this website for more detailed information on exercises and positions.
- The CUB will allow you to instinctively explore a range of labour and birth positions that are physiologically more beneficial for both you and your baby.
- The CUB allows lots of space for your birthing team to provide physical, for example back and leg massage or hip squeeze, as well as emotional support-keeping them close and actively participating in the birth with you.
- Even if things change during your labour and your movement is more restricted for some reason, the Cub can still be safely used (in a single chamber inflation) on a hospital bed. This means that you can still benefit from upright positions-all fours, sitting upright or side laying) even if you cant move off of the bed.
- If you decide to use the CUB to sit on under the shower place a towel under the CUB and on top of to sit on. This minimises the chance of slipping.
If you are a Doula or Birth Educator
- The CUB can be a great addition to your Doula bag or as part of your class resources.
- The CUB is a great tool to support rest during labour when needed, especially if back massage or a hip squeeze are what’s needed.
- The CUB is a great way to teach the principles of optimal birth positions, and the importance of mobility and movement during pregnancy, labour and birth.
- The CUB is more versatile than a ball or traditional birth stool because it can be used all the way through labour and birth, even when epidural is chosen, or other when other medical factors impact on the opportunity for instinctive movements during birth.
- The CUB can be a comfortable support for when the need to rest and ‘zone out’ is felt during labour, particularly in the all fours position during transition.
- Used on a hospital bed in a single inflation the CUB allows an optimal upright position even for those that are experiencing restrictions on their movements. This means that you can offer your clients more options and opportunities than they may have had provided by a hospital.
- The CUB promotes and supports a range of more physiologically instinctive birthing positions including: ‘all fours’/four point kneeling, Asymmetrical forward kneeling, squatting and supported squatting.
- Following waterbirth the CUB can be used to deliver the placenta if delivering it in the water is not wanted. Either sitting upright or forward kneeling against the Cub can facilitate placenta expulsion if required.
*Please contact us to get your FREE CUB class lesson plan to help you get the most from the product as a teaching aid to promote movement and mobility
If you are a Physiotherapist or Chiropractor
Along with appropriate treatment from a physiotherapist or chiropractor the Cub can be used to provide additional relief at home for those experiencing:
- Prolapsed intervertebral disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Coccyx pain
- Posterior pelvic pain
- Symphysis pubic dysfunction
- SI joint pain
*Some users have reported relief from Vulvodynia
If you are a Birth Centre or Hospital that Provides the CUB
- The CUB is an aid to support instinctive and active position change, mobility and upright positions during labour and birth. Extensive research from around the world has shown a range of potential benefits from mobility and upright positions during childbirth.
- The user can benefit from the CUB during early and active labour, during contractions and during rest periods.
- The user can use the CUB during the expulsive phase and for the delivery. This can be achieved either sitting upright (single inflation) in all fours or in supported kneeling positions.
- Continuous EFM/CTG, Telemetry, FSE and intermittent monitoring of the FHR during labour are not restricted by the use of the CUB if they are required.
- The CUB can be used (in a single inflation), on a hospital bed
- The CUB can be cleaned with any hospital grade cleaner your facility uses for cleaning delivery beds. The CUB can be used multiple times however as an inflatable product is not designed to last indefinitely. Used regularly we advised replacing the CUB every 3 months.
- The recommended maximum user weight is 120 kg (265 lbs)
- The CUB is a CE marked MHRA registered class 1 medical device in the UK.
- The CUB is registered with The GMDN Agency. The GMDN agency is responsible for the Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) used to identify medical devices around the world.
Learn about References, Resources and Technical information